Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Octagon Box with Guest Designer Joann Jamieson

Hi Everyone, I am totally excited to be with you over the next few months as a Guest Designer for Scor-Pal. I am a HUGE fan of all of their products and if I have to pick the one thing in my craft room that I could not possibly do without it, would be my Scor-Pal! I want to start by introducing myself, my name is Joann and I still consider myself fairly new in the crafting world but I absolutely ADORE all things paper and glue! I dream that someday I might be able to retire from my full-time job to my craft room. Hey, it's an ambitious dream but a girl has to dream, right? Well enough about me... Today, I want to share with you a fun little box to make. There are thousands of boxes out there and I got the idea for this one mainly as I looking to make a box with something other than a traditional shape but still keeping it fairly simple to make. Box-Closed
 Here it is open -Box-Open

To make this fun little box follow these simple steps: For the base (you will need 2 of these) Cut a piece of card stock 8 ½ x 6 inches and score on the long side at 2, 4, 6 and 8. Then flip on the short edge and score at ½ inch.

Base


 For the top (you need 2 of these) Cut a piece of card stock 9 x 2 ½ inches and score on the long side at 2 1/8, 4 ¼, 6 3/8 and 8 ½ inches. Then flip on the short edge and score at ½ inch.



Top

 To trim the base I cut 8 rectangles 1 ¾ x 5 ¼ inches and if desired you can repeated the same with a different DP for the inside. I did both. Attach all the DP paper to both sides of the base before assembling since it is much easier to do so now. Fold on all the score lines and use your boning tool to get a nice sharp line. Cut the score marks on the long ½ inch flaps since these will be glued to the top and bottom of the box. Attaching the ½ inch short flaps to the opposite side of the other piece of base to form the base of the box and repeat for the 2 top pieces To make the box easier to shape, I cut two - 5 inch Octagon's to use as the top and bottom of the box. After they were attached I decorated the top with a Spellbinders Grand Decorative Circle. For the handle cut a strip of paper 1 inch wide and cut it to the desired length for the shape of the handle you like. Here's a list of the products I used for this project: Spellbinders Grand Decorative Circle I hope you enjoyed this fun little tutorial as much I liked making it. I hope you can come back and visit again soon!
joann sig
 

6 comments:

newfiecrafter(Marilyn) said...

Love this box and the instructions are so easy to follow . will be making one of these for sure.

Sandra H said...

Wow this is so beautiful thank you for sharing it xx

Ravengirl said...

Beautiful work! I love the non-traditional shape!

Tya Smith said...

Very pretty Joanne! Welcome to the Scor-pal family :)

Ellen Taylor said...

sweet box! TFS

Julies Crafty Creations said...

I love your box, its stunning, thanks for the tutorial
Julie x